February 26, 2013

Thought for Today - Thus I Run

''Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.'' 1 Cor 9:26

There must've been times when Paul wanted to give up. As with every Christian, his journey must've had its mountaintops and valleys both. Paul endured so much and came through all persecution only the stronger for it and not at all discouraged from fulfilling his mission to preach God's word. How did he do it?

In these words is a motivation stronger than a desire for physical discipline. Paul did not want to waste the time and energy given him, and he did not want to be found unworthy. To be disqualified from his beloved preaching would've broken his heart. All things, including his body, must be in submission to God's calling on his life.

I may run with uncertainty if I run only to improve my body. All things, even the physical, must be for God's glory!

No comments: