February 14, 2013

Thought for Today - Radical Love

''This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.'' John 15:13

Somehow I don't think this verse would make a very good Valentine's Day card! We don't like associating death with love, but at the very core, that's truly what love is: death to your self and your own wishes for the good of someone else. Love places what is best for the other person above what you want.

Jesus set the ultimate example of love with His death so that we can live. He then commanded that we ''love one another'' as He loved us! If I love as He loves, suddenly everyone else becomes more important, and the welfare of my friends becomes more important even than my own. This is radical love! This love can only be from God. 

Lord, give me love today for the people You have placed in my life. Help me to love them like You do.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: